- These resources are targeted at providing you with a general approach to abdominal pain rather than the specific diagnostic and management steps for each of the many causes of abdominal pain.
- Remember to always consider cardiac and metabolic causes of abdominal pain and think ectopic pregnancy and testicular torsion in females and males respectively.
- Abdominal pain in children, adults and elderly patients require separate diagnostic and prognostic considerations.
- If you think AAA may be a differential diagnosis – Talk to a senior about ED AAA Ultrasound
Introduction to abdominal pain
- ALiEM (Academic Life in Emergency Medicine)
- 10 tips to approaching abdominal pain in the elderly
- Also see ACEP Abdominal pain in elderly video (37mins)
- BMJ learning
Do you really need that abdominal x-ray….